The Emphysema Foundation of America
MISSION & VISION
- The Emphysema Foundation of America (EFA) is dedicated to fighting for every breath of those suffering with emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Our Mission is to increase awareness of emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and to conduct and support activities and research to prevent and treat those diseases.
- The Emphysema Foundation of America (EFA) was founded in 1979 in Los Angeles to “conduct and support activities for the prevention, treatment and curing of emphysema.”
- The founders included John C. Cosgrove, a prominent Los Angeles insurance executive and philanthropist, who served as a Los Angeles Harbor Commissioner; philanthropist and socialite Lucy Toberman, who served on the Los Angeles Planning Commission; and retail executive Stephen C. Bilheimer, who served under two mayors as President of the Los Angeles Board of Airport Commissioners.
- EFA is working to increase awareness of emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), as well as the causes, treatment and lack of research funding devoted to these chronic lung ailments.
- COPD refers to a group of diseases that cause airflow blockage and breathing-related problems including emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and in some cases, asthma.
- COPD is the third leading cause of death in the world with 3 million lives lost to COPD in 2016, with 155,041 of those in the US. In the US, COPD is the fourth leading cause of death, after heart disease, cancer and accidents.
- In conjunction with other organizations, such as BREATHE California of Los Angeles County (BREATHE LA), EFA currently sponsors anti-tobacco programs targeted to youth, our COPD patient education and self-management program Strive, research into adult lung health, and an annual COPD and Lung Health conference for medical professionals.
Remarks from our President & CEO, Marc Carrel
Emphysema Foundation of America provides tools andresources for every breath of those who have, are caring for a loved one with, or would just like to know more about emphysema and COPD. We are focused on lung health and providing initiatives and research that lead to the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of these lung diseases.