How Is Sinusitis Treated?
- After diagnosing sinusitis and identifying a possible cause, your health care professional can suggest various treatments, including nasal steroid spray which can be very effective.
If you have acute sinusitis, your health care professional may also recommend the following:
- Antibiotics to control a possible bacterial infection
- Pain relievers to reduce any nasal or sinus pain
- Decongestants are medicines that shrink the swollen membranes in the nose and make it easier to breathe
Even if you have chronic or acute sinusitis, your doctor may choose not to use an antibiotic because many cases of acute or chronic sinusitis will end on their own. However, if you do not feel better after a few days, you should contact your health care professional again.
Follow your health care professional's instruction on how to use over-the-counter or prescription decongestant nose drops and nasal sprays. You should use these medicines for only a few days, as longer term use can lead to even more congestion and swelling of your nasal passages.
If you suffer from nasal allergies, such as hay fever, along with sinusitis, your doctor may recommend medicine to control your allergies. This may include a nasal steroid spray that reduces the swelling around the sinus passages and allows the sinuses to drain.
If you have asthma and then get sinusitis, your asthma may worsen. You should contact your doctor, who may change your asthma treatment and medications.
Doctors often find it difficult to treat chronic rhinosinusitis successfully. They have two options to offer patients: medicine and surgery.
Medicine for Relief of Symptoms
- A nasal steroid spray is quite helpful for many people, but most people still do not get full relief of symptoms with these medications.
- A long course of antibiotics is occasionally recommended by physicians, but results from clinical research do not support this kind of antibiotic use.
- Saline (saltwater) washes or saline nasal sprays can be helpful in chronic rhinosinusitis because they remove thick secretions and allow the sinuses to drain.
- Oral steroids, such as prednisone, may be prescribed for severe chronic rhinosinusitis. However, oral steroids are powerful medicines with significant side effects, and these medicines typically are prescribed when other medicines have failed.
Research is needed to develop new, more effective treatments.
When medicine fails, surgery may be the only alternative for treating chronic rhinosinusitis. The goal of surgery is to improve sinus drainage and reduce blockage of the nasal passages. Nasal surgery usually is performed to accomplish the following:
- Enlarge the natural openings of the sinuses
- Remove nasal polyps
- Correct significant structural problems inside the nose and the sinuses if they contribute to a sinus obstruction
Although most people have fewer symptoms and a better quality of life after sinus surgery, problems can still occur, sometimes even after a period of time.
In children, problems can sometimes be eliminated by removing the adenoids. These gland-like tissues, located high in the throat behind and above the roof of the mouth, can obstruct the nasal passages.
Please visit Web Medical Doctor Health Products and Services
We also recommend you pay a visit to Viral Meningitis Organization. We will soon be offering Seasonal Allergy information & products
Announcement: We are primarily devoting our time on enhancing our Top-10 Sites thus making numerous well-aged domain names available which are no longer used by the developed sites, or else needed. These domains are related to subjects like health wellness and disease, investing and money matters, trading the financial markets and a few misc categories.
A Special Offer valid today when you Buy a Domain you likely can get its web-page or website free upon request (if there is a matching site and you want it; excluding the top-ten sites). This opportunity is on any other website-name you purchase.
Here's some interesting groups to explore: Targeted 3-character acronyms and dozens of other desirable domains. Of course, our best developed websites are top-value, and we have several other notable websites plus first-class digital domains for-sale.
There's also 100s-of good misc names and featured domains and acronyms, as well as a number of one-word domains. There's also well-targeted health names and financial names, or you can acquire or inquire about any desired domain by going here.
Prices are the same if it has a website or there is no site because inherent value is in its domain name. However, valuation is magnified if there's significant development, such as our 10 well developed websites, with several available for acquisition (but not all). Please contact-us if you have interest in these unique and golden investment opportunities.